While the Tea Party has largely been referred to by most media as a fiscally conservative group, they recently reared their ugly head of social conservative activism.
According to a piece on Talking Points Memo, "[f]or Tea Party Founding Fathers chairman William Temple, a reinstatement of Don't Ask, Don't Tell and keeping women out of combat roles would also be acceptable." in return for raising the debt ceiling. Temple's reasoning for accepting this compromise is that "that military effeminization may have an extremely costly impact on recruiting and retention."
Yes, that's the reason - it's the economics after all. Of course, Temple, who is the main organizer of the Freedom Jamboree - The National Tea Party Straw Poll Convention, might find the economic argument harder to defend since Bob Vander Plaats, Iowa's very own homophobe is Vice Chair of the Kansas City event.
* James Withers, writing 5.10 on 365Gay.com, had some interesting comments on this issue here.
- The Tea Party Duped By NeoCons?
- Tough Week to be a Newt
- More on the Iowa Caucuses
- On The Diminishing Relevance of the Iowa GOP Caucu...
- Tone Def Jam by Jon Stewart
- Never Say I'm Not Fair...
- Corporate Domination of Education
- Why Does Anyone Take Andrew Breitbart Seriously?
- Tea Party Social Conservatism
- Who makes your electronic toys?
- Getting Rolling Again
- May (11)