Very interesting and disturbing post today on Think Progress that focuses on Foxconn, a major Taiwanese corporation that makes products for American firms like Apple and Hewlett-Packard (despite what Senator McCain would have you think). The smiling faces on the Foxconn home page belie the following elements of the story:
Among the travesties mentioned:
- The installation of "anti-suicide nets" to counter the large number of employees who would rather jump from the windows than continue working.
- Requiring "non-suicide pacts" that forces workers families "to promise 'not sue the company, bring excessive demands, take drastic actions that would damage the company's reputation or cause trouble that would hurt normal operations' in the case of a suicide."
As my friend Robert Lemon notes, with recent SCOTUS decisions further empowering American corporations, how long will it be before we see this practice here?
- The Tea Party Duped By NeoCons?
- Tough Week to be a Newt
- More on the Iowa Caucuses
- On The Diminishing Relevance of the Iowa GOP Caucu...
- Tone Def Jam by Jon Stewart
- Never Say I'm Not Fair...
- Corporate Domination of Education
- Why Does Anyone Take Andrew Breitbart Seriously?
- Tea Party Social Conservatism
- Who makes your electronic toys?
- Getting Rolling Again
- ▼ May (11)